- This event has passed.
Clubhouse Steering Committee First Meeting
January 28 @ 7:30 pm - 9:00 pm
Call to volunteers: Join the Clubhouse Steering Committee!
One of the priorities of the new MHMC board this year is to take a more community-guided approach with the utilization and vision of the clubhouse by establishing a dedicated advisory committee that operates outside of the board. The idea here is to give the clubhouse its own steering group so that the growth, operation and activities are a product of the community first and merely rely on the board for guidance and support. The board will continue to be involved in maintenance, operations, improvements, events and financial management of the facility, but the committee will be the guiding voice of the development of new community events, utilization and activities. This year I’ve taken on a dual role as park and clubhouse trustee to help get this committee established and to serve as liaison between the board and this committee. Mostly I just want to make sure the clubhouse has a strong community focused foothold once the place starts opening up for activities and as the pandemic safety pressures recede. The most immediate task is getting a clear clubhouse-specific financial and budget plan together as well as 2, 5 and 10 year plans & goals framed out, and to get these up in a document for community review and community feedback by the end of Spring. Another short term goal is to develop a fee structure for community members to be able to rent the space for small gatherings like birthday parties and such so that it can be used as soon as groups are permitted. We could even start doing that now inasmuch as the state guidelines allow, upon agreement of the renter to adhere to the guidelines (e.g. small family groups and members-only). Darlene Weigle has already gathered some research on rental costs associated with comparable facilities and will share her ideas and findings at our first meeting. I have also cc’d members of the MHMC board in case they want to attend and bring the committee up to speed on clubhouse-specific projects already in progress.
All that being said, I’d like to invite you to join the committee if you are interested. For the first 3-6 months we might need to meet a little more frequently (monthly or so?) but ideally it’ll be a once-quarterly commitment after some of this initial planning and footwork is complete. Honestly it’ll be up to the committee when and how often we meet, but that’s just my gut feeling. We’ll set the ongoing meeting cadence at the first meeting.
Ideal volunteers for this committee will:
- Be available to meet monthly at first & get started right away
- Dedicate a small amount of independent time and skill each month to assist in executing short and long term goals
- Residence in Maple Hills Estates and dues in good standing is required
- Commit to developing &/or chairing at least one clubhouse special event or club (big or small)
- Assist in occasional work parties when possible
- Assist in volunteer roundups for fundraiser events
- Put ideas and energy forth into fundraising initiatives
- Have a strong commitment to serving the whole communityOur first meeting will be next week, Thursday January 28th at 7:30 PM on zoom. We currently have 4 members including me but we will continue to grow this committee until we have at least 6 dedicated members, not including myself. These early months and years will be a game of trial and error but also bring the promise of planning and focusing on the better times that lie ahead. I can’t wait to get started! See you Thursday!
Note: Board meetings occur on the second Wednesday of each month at 7:30pm. Location is usually at the Fire House. Contact the board for more information.